Mike Duffy wrote:
What is the best way to do internationalization for error messages?

For example, "Specified attribute is not between the expected values of 1 and
1000."

According to the Kito Mann book on page 307, you can overwrite existing
messages by creating the
name value pairs in your own properties file and specifying the properties file
in your
faces-config.xml.

That's correct.

But what if you wanted to use the existing default locale for English and then
add other locales?

Does anyone have a link that gives a clear example?  How can I find a list of
all the existing
error message names with values that need to be translated (I assume there is a
properties file
buried in a jar somewhere)?

You just provide translations in your properties files for the other locales.
All the error message keys and english messages are in the myfaces jar in
file Messages.properties under javax.faces.

Jon.
          Dr Jonathan Harley   .
                               .   Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           Zac Parkplatz Ltd   .   Office Telephone: 024 7633 1375
           www.parkplatz.net   .   Mobile: 079 4116 0423