In my opinion, you're better off using facelets.

Facelets appears to be more widely-accepted than Clay.   For instance,
Oracle ADF Faces supports facelets out of the box.  Jenia4Faces
supports facelets.   Exadel supports facelets.  I don't think any of
them provide support for Clay.  On the other hand, perhaps no such
support is needed -- I haven't really used Clay.   My monitoring of
the mailing list leads me to believe otherwise, though.

Facelets appears to have a much larger user base than Clay.   That's
just my general opinion having monitored both Shale and Facelets since
last May.

Facelets is maintained primarily by two JSF Expert Group members.
Facelets activity appears to be actively monitored by two other
high-profile JSF EG members.

Facelets fixes a number of JSF 1.1 issues by providing JSF 1.2 behavior.

I know Gary has put a lot of work into Clay, but I think the forward
momentum is in favor of facelets.   I would not be surprised to see
facelets included as part of a JSF 2.0 specification.