I have the same problem. I opened an issue on it a few days ago: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-1151
I just added a comment to it about it being a duplicate.

David

Mike Duffy wrote:

I just upgraded to JBoss 4.0.4RC1.

I did not have this error in the previous version of JBoss.
There is already a JIRA entry on this issue:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-1121

I just picked up the latest nightly build of MyFaces.  This problem has not yet
been fixed.

There is an admittedly "hack" solution presented in JIRA.  Any chance a real
solution can get into
the nightly build?

Thx.  :)

FacesContext.getCurrentContext is null in the page following a successful
login. The login is a
standard JSP forms-based login. The form redirects to j_security_check as
normal, then presumably
it gets automatically redirected to the originally requested page. That's when
the error occurs
(see stack trace below). If I then refresh the page, it displays correctly.

12:46:14,137 ERROR [[Faces Servlet]] Servlet.service() for servlet Faces
Servlet threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
       at
org.apache.myfaces.renderkit.html.HtmlRendererUtils.selectContentType(HtmlRendererUtils.java:995)
       at
org.apache.myfaces.renderkit.html.util.DefaultAddResource.writeResponse(DefaultAddResource.java:786)
       at
org.apache.myfaces.component.html.util.ExtensionsFilter.doFilter(ExtensionsFilter.java:143)
       at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
       at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)