BTW all this is to pre-populate the inputText element with the values already contained in the bean.

TIA

Adam

Adam wrote:
Dear All,

I am trying to build a jsf page which can alternate between showing input & output text elements dependant upon a boolean (i.e. if you are allowed to edit the data).

e.g.

title="The Type of the Element" />
rendered="#{!treeBacker.editState}" />
<h:inputText value="#{MIFExternal.type}" rendered="#{treeBacker.editState}" />

Basically the OutputText works fine, it calls "getType" & shows the value in the bean however the inputText never calls "getType".

I have tried simply using an inputText (i.e. w/o any "rendered" & yet nothing....)

Any ideas why the inputText should not be getting any values from the backing bean?

Some of the fields are always ineligible for editing & thus are always outputText & they work fine where the inputText fields are always empty.

TIA

Adam