That's due to the interaction of JSP and JSF.

On the first pass (=first access of a page, on subsequent ones this is
not a problem), the component-tree get's created while going through
the JSP-page. Now if a component doesn't render it's children, the
first children (=your label) doesn't know that the next children
(=your input) will be created.

regards,

Martin