No, it can't, not in template text.  You've got two choices:

     (the general XML escape for non-breaking spaces)
  <h:outputText escape="false" value="&amp;nbsp;"/>

At some point, a straight &nbsp; may be accepted, but &amp;nbsp;
was always a hacky workaround for some glitches that are fixed
by Facelets 1.1.1.

BTW, this should be posted to the Facelets mailing list,
not the MyFaces list.

-- Adam