I think JPA remains unfinished for the moment mainly for political
reasons. The final draft has been accepted if I remember correctly.
Anyway you can choose what you prefer but I think you went a little
bit too hard on Hibernate. I know the JDO community don't like Gavin
King and have their own vision but Hibernate is a true masterpiece. It
is very lightweight so you don't have a lot of depencencies on the
framework itself. You would just have a lot of configuration
information to migrate but right now Hibernate is the "de facto"
standard in the persistance area for most people so I guess you won't
have to migrate in the near future.

On a side note, what I like about JPA is that finally there is a first
official Java aspect. Just hope to see more in the future
(transaction, security, pooling, remote access, ...) so everything can
run in a standard VM and you don't have to deal with the complexity of
what you don't want. Well I am wandering far away from JSF right now
but well I really like AOP :) I agree with the JBoss guys, this is the
future of middleware services.

--
Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada