I am trying to navigate to a page in a datatable based on a search result.
The backing bean identifies the first list element  and the page in which it
is located. All I need now is to display the page and set pageIndex of the
dataScroller is set to the right page. ( similar to the behavior one would
expect if I clicked on right page)

Will it work if overwrite setFirst method of the data table ?

Also the documentation says " The scope of pageIndexVar and pageCountVar is
limited, and only direct children of DataScroller may see them. "

What does it mean ?