validateCompareTo is exactly what you need, and it's stable.  I wrote
it to compare date fields, so this is its most-tested configuration :)

I'll probably push to have it promoted from the sandbox to tomahawk pretty soon.
The only issues holding it back (that I know of) are that there are
some hardcoded strings in the code that need to be moved to
localizable message properties.

If you'd like to speed up the promotion process, feel free to submit
patches fix this issue.