Seems to me like it's a simple onFocus, onBlur kind of trick. We have a search box component at Ghent university that changes the background color of the inputText that way:
These lines in the renderer are all it takes:

            writer.writeAttribute(
                "onfocus", "this.style.background='';", null
            );
            writer.writeAttribute(
                "onblur", " this.style.background='';", null
            );

Jurgen