For some reason I got a "Symantec Mail Security detected prohibited content in a message sent from your address" so I have dumbed down the email a bit, removing quotes etc and resent. Sorry if you got it twice.

Murray Brandon wrote:
If rendered=false, APPLY_REQUEST_VALUES doesn't get applied to the component, so the backing bean is untouched, isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong, 'cos lots of my assumptions are based on that fact. (smiley removed here)

In the past, when a component hasn't been persisiting I've found it to be:

1) Programmer error, badly written bean from 5am.   or
2) The component is outside the form being submitted.  or
3) The button or link to submit the form has immediate=true on it. Immediate means don't submit the form, just execute the action.

4) Ah yes, and because I didn't have an h:messages tag and there was a conversion error.