Actually, I noticed this on one of my JSPs yesterday.  I didn't have time to
look at it in detail, but I noticed the problem goes away if I moved the
following line of code from above the <html> tag to *after* the last
<jsp:include /> tag.

<jsp:scriptlet>response.setContentType("text/html;
charset=utf-8");</jsp:scriptlet>

Dennis Byrne