> around this. I have no idea why JSF has the required attribute
instead
  > of a required validator.
One reason might be that html does not send "empty" values to the
server,
therefor the validation mechanism has nothing to work on, the trigger
mechanisms do not trap that one.
The required flag is checked at another moment... But that's just a
possible
explanation...

  > After looking more at the source code for the optional validator
  > framework, it doesn't look to me like it will support data tables,
  > trees and other complex comonents that render children multiple
times.
Cannot garantee... I am just trying to get back into the game...
Have you tried it. or just looked at the code?
If you can create a "small" testcase (complete but reduced webapp), we
can
use that as a testcase... and correct the behaviour of OptValidator.

regards
Alexander