Thanks Holger, but I have the same problem using this method.
As soon as I sort the rows in the datatable they are out of sync  with the
backing bean.
Somehow, somewhere, a copy of the list exists as it was originally sorted,
and selecting a row, either with index or an actionlistener as in the link
you gave me, returns the from this original list. Sorting the datatable
doesn't effect this list so it goes out of sync. It's very frustrating.
Surely I can't be the only one with this problem?