I am getting javax.servlet.ServletException: parent is null? Exception
when server is trying to redirect it error.faces. I have following in my
web.xml

 <error-page>
    <exception-type>java.lang.Throwable</exception-type>
    <location>/error.faces</location>
  </error-page>

Server is able to redirect to error.jsp with out any problem if there is
an exception in any of my own classes. It is failing if there is a issue
with my jsf tags. For example following line compiles fine but throws
javax.servlet.ServletException: parent is null? While trying to redirect
it to error.faces . It hides actual exception.

  <h:outputText value="#{unit.emptyMilesPercent}">
            <f:convertNumber maxFractionDigits="1" type="percentage"/>
          </h:outputText>

Later I found out the problem is with type="percentage". Once I removed
it it worked fine.
This also happens if I bind my component to non existent variable(not
intentionally but by mistake :) ) in the bean. I followed
http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Handling_Server_Errors to create my
exception framework.

Do I have to do some kind of hack to show actual exception in
error.faces.

Thanks In Advance

Vamsi Surapuraju
724 709 2391

"This email and any files transmitted with it are the property of Quadrivius,
its subsidiaries, affiliates, or related companies, are
confidential, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
to whom this email is addressed. Please notify the
sender by return email if you are not the intended recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, you may not copy, retain, print,
disclose, or distribute this message or its contents to any other individual or
entity. Quadrivius, its subsidiaries, affiliates or
related companies, reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all
messages sent to or from this email address."