Sorry it took me so long to respond, but thanks for your help. This seems to have fixed my problem :-)

Greg

On Jul 26, 2006, at 1:28 PM, Papaioannou, Todd wrote:

Greg,

Try this: create a commons-logging.properties file somewhere in the
classpath
of your portlet. WEB-INF/class is favorite. Put this in there:

org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLo gg
er

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Reddin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:31 PM
To: MyFaces Discussion
Subject: Re: Myfaces Portlets With Liferay and Maven

Thanks, Todd.  Here's the stack trace:

03:23:44,545 ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase]
Exception invoking periodic operation:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.log4j.Category.log(Ljava/ lang/
String;Lorg/apache/log4j/Level;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Th
rowable;)V
         at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog.error
(Log4JCategoryLog.java:149)
         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart
(StandardContext.java:3733)
         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start
(StandardContext.java:4187)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.checkResources
(HostConfig.java:1089)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.check
(HostConfig.java:1187)
         at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent
(HostConfig.java:292)
         at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent
(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
         at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.backgroundProcess
(ContainerBase.java:1305)
         at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase
$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java: 1569)
         at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase
$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java: 1578)
         at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase
$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(ContainerBase.java:1558)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

This is what I have in WEB-INF/lib:

commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar
commons-codec-1.3.jar
commons-collections-3.1.jar
commons-digester-1.7.jar
commons-el-1.0.jar
commons-fileupload-1.0.jar
commons-lang-2.1.jar
commons-logging-1.0.4.jar
commons-validator-1.1.4.jar
jstl-1.1.2.jar
myfaces-api-1.1.1.jar
myfaces-impl-1.1.1.jar
oro-2.0.8.jar
tomahawk-1.1.1.jar
util-jsf.jar
xml-apis-1.0.b2.jar

It looks like the problem is with an incompatible version of log4j.
I have log4j 1.2.12 in common/lib/ext.

Greg