I have a WIKI on how to do lazy loading from an external source (web
service, database, etc.):

http://andrewfacelets.blogspot.com/2006/06/myfaces-tree2-creating-lazy-loading.html

On 9/7/06, Jiang, Jane (NIH/NCI) [C] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I've been using the 2nd method of tree2 lazy loading I learned from the wiki
page.  I overwrote the getChildren() method to load in the children.  It works
fine.  I am very surprised that the tree slowed down.

I tried to track down the problem and found that every time I try to expand one
node, the getChildren() method gets called for all visible nodes.  This
behavior defeated half of the purpose of lazy loading since the sibling nodes
actually get loaded right away.  So we are actually loading one layer at a
time, not one node at a time.  To make the matter worse, if a node has no child
nodes after the first round, the super.getChildren().size() == 0 is always
true.  So we repeatly goes to the database and try to find more children for
those nodes.

Has any one found a way to work around this problem?  Is there a better way to
do lazy loading?

Thanks,

Jane