Mike, thanks for the example.

I tried it but I'm seeing these results...

When I put the mouse over a column that has a popup tag,
a small empty component (with tiny scrollbars) appears next to
the mouse, and the text associated with the popup appears
separately to the right of the mouse, overlaying the text in another
column.  The text has no border, maybe just spaces around it.
The text and tiny scrollable field do move with the mouse.

Have you seen/heard of this behavior?

The text must belong in the empty component, but how does it get there?

And does the popup field *have* to have scrollbars?  It ought to be
just a box.

Thanks again for your help.
Tom

             "Mike
             Kienenberger"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          To
             om>                       "MyFaces Discussion"
                                       <users@myfaces.apache.org>
             09/08/2006 12:44                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: does anyone have sample code
             Please respond to         for a tooltip-like display?
                 "MyFaces
                Discussion"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 ache.org>

Here's an example of displaying the first value in a list for a
column, and then using t:popup to display an entire list of values on
hover.   jstl:length() is only available if you're using facelets,
though.  I've manually edited this page code to provide a simpler
example, so hopefully I didn't introduce a typo.

                                                             <t:column>

<f:facet name="header">

<h:outputText value="Name"/>

</f:facet>
                                                 <h:outputText

       rendered="#{(itemList != null) and (0 != jstl:length(itemList))}"

       value="#{itemList[0].name}" />
                                                 <t:popup id="namePopup"

       rendered="#{1 lt jstl:length(itemList)}"
                                                     styleClass="popup"

closePopupOnExitingElement="true"

closePopupOnExitingPopup="true"
                                                     displayAtDistanceX
="10"
                                                     displayAtDistanceY
="10" >
                                                             <h:outputText

                   style="color: green;"

                   value=" [#{jstl:length(itemList)}]" />
                                                     <f:facet name="popup">
                                                         <h:panelGroup>

<t:dataList

 value="#{itemList}"

 var="item">

             <h:outputText value="#{item.name}" />

             <t:htmlTag value="br" />

</t:dataList>
                                                         </h:panelGroup>
                                                     </f:facet>
                                                 </t:popup>
                                                 </t:column>

> I have a list that is populated from a dataTable.
>
> data in several columns (outputText) is truncated by the backing bean
> to help keep the overall list within an area.
>
> I'd like to display the full data in a column when the user moves the
mouse
> over a column with truncated data.
>
> I've been looking at onmouseover and t:popup but don't have a clue
> on how these could be used to display the full data.
>
> Can anyone offer a piece of code or a reference to some code that does
> this?
>
> Thanks for your help
> Tom
>

> This message is intended for the recipient only and is not meant to be
forwarded or distributed in any other format. This communication is for
informational purposes only.  It is not intended as an offer or
solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument, or
security, or as an official confirmation of any transaction.  Putnam does
not accept purchase or redemptions of securities, instructions, or
authorizations that are sent via e-mail.   All market prices, data and
other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are
subject to change without notice.  Any comments or statements made herein
do not necessarily reflect those of Putnam, LLC (DBA Putnam Investments)
and its subsidiaries and affiliates.  If you are not the intended recipient
of this e-mail, please delete the e-mail.