PROBLEM PRETTY MUCH SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The primary thing I was doing wrong was that I was trying to implement
MyFaces and Tomahawk into an older project and it was using the JSP 1.1
specification instead of 2.0.

I created a new project in Borland's JBuilder and specified JSP 2.0.  I
initially used RI JSF provided by Borland, then substituted MyFaces and
Tomahawk.  There were a few .tld file issues after the substitution, but
after that all went pretty much as layed out on the myfaces.apache website.

I didn't need any additional entries in my faces-config.xml file and only
the filter entry specified by myfaces.apache in my web.xml file.

Of course, the <t: inputFileUpload entry in the .JSP as well as the tag
library for tomahawk's <t: extensions

In the backing bean, I implemented the

import org.apache.myfaces.custom.fileupload.UploadedFile;

public class WelcomeBean
{
    private UploadedFile theFile;

    public UploadedFile getTheFile() {
      return theFile;
    }

    public void setTheFile (UploadedFile theFile) {
      this.theFile = theFile;
    }

What I'm going to do now, is go back and use RI JSF and see if I can get
Tomahawk to work with it alone.  I think it should and myfaces.apache says
it should.

Thanks for all your input and I hope this post helps you and anyone who is
having trouble.  Again, it seems the JSP 2.0 was the big culprit.

Doug