Jeff,

Even if you provide an accessor method to access the static field, will
it really help as I want to then use this accessor method as a key to
the map - which the EL will not allow me to.
#{someManagedBean.addresses[<here goes the accessor method>].city} -
this will not yield anything.

I guess that is a limitation of EL in its present state.

"secondary_address";