I just deployed my first simple MyFaces application, and have some questions
about the generated HTML I see. I am wondering how each of the generated
hidden fields and javascript in the output below contribute to MyFace's
functionality.

How do each of these form fields help JSF do what it does? MyFaces is a
wonderful tool, but I'd like to understand "how" it does what it does (on a
high enough level that it might be explained in a couple of detailed replies
to this post)...because right now it seems a bit "too" transparent and
magical.

                <input type="hidden" name="registerForm_SUBMIT" value="1" />
                <input type="hidden" name="registerForm:_link_hidden_" />
                <script type="text/javascript"><!--
                                function clear_registerForm() {
                                var f = document.forms['registerForm'];

f.elements['registerForm:_link_hidden_'].value='';
                                f.target='';
                                }
                                clear_registerForm();
                                //--></script>
                <input type="hidden" name="jsf_tree_64" id="jsf_tree_64"
value="rO0ABXNyA=" />
                <input type="hidden" name="jsf_state_64" id="jsf_state_64"
value="wcHBwcHh4" />
                <input type="hidden" name="jsf_viewid" id="jsf_viewid"
value="/register.xhtml" />

As an example of things I'm wondering: how do these fields store state, are
these fields only used with client-side state-saving, is stored on the
client (i.e. in these fields) versus the server, etc.

When using client-side state saving, where and how is the state saved on the
client? Are all the components serialized to the client (is that what's
basically in those hidden fields) or what? Does the server really store no
state whatsoever about a particular client?

I've read the manuals and tutorials, but I'm still confused on these issues.

Thanks.