I faced a similar problem. I included the source code of tomahawk and debugged
it.

I found that the encodeBegin has a method which will restore opened states. Now
this method will not be called when the tree is constructed afresh.

Check to see if the tree is getting constructed again. In my case I had a
panelNavigation2 inside a custom component and therefore it made it easier for
me to debug it. I am not sure what is the case with you.

notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are
not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other
person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses.
Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not
liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail.
You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or
attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all
messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this
e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.