From: Simon Kitching [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:16 AM
To: MyFaces Discussion
Subject: Re: Jsf_tree_64

Gattu, Praveen wrote:
> Hi Folks - We are using the myfaces(1.1.5 snapshot). I got couple of
> questions regarding the state save. So far we were using the server
> side save state to reduce the page size of our pages, but noticed that
> with this approach, our app cannot work behind a load balancer. We are
> using Tomcat as webserver, and we donot intend to use tomcat
> clustering. In order to avoid this we switched to client side save
> state. Although this solved the load balancing issue, we saw the page
> sizes increase by 10-15x. A page with server side save state with a
> size of 18kb, now measures ~300kbyes with client side save state.
>
> I noticed that the framework is using "jsf_tree_64" hidden field for
> all the command links, to store some form of data. What is this field
> used for in the framework?

Saving the current component tree. It needs to be stored somewhere, and if
you don't want it in the http session ("server-side state") then it has to
be stored in the form ("client-side state").

Is there a way to avoid this hidden field, without
> using the server side save state?

Nope.

  Are there any other approaches I
> should be looking to solve both load balancing and low page size?

Perhaps a "sticky load balancer", ie one that is http-session-aware and
therefore directs all requests for a specific session to a single tomcat
instance?

I can't see any other alternatives, if you're opposed to clustering; the
tomcat instance that handles the submit must have the component tree data
available, and the only options are (a) in the http session, or (b) embedded
in the posted data.

Regards,

Simon

--
When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not
know it, but for the sake of defending those that do