Instead of returning null, could you return something like "nonHighlightRow"?
This would probably work for both cases (jsp & facelets) with the only overhead
of defining another class...

________________________________

From: Jeff Bischoff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thu 2/22/2007 11:30 AM
To: MyFaces Discussion
Subject: Re: Facelets support for a Tomahawk dataTable trick?

Well, you were right Mike, in that the testing is taking the longest. I
mean, we're really only talking about a few lines of code here. When I
made the changes you suggested, it did "fix" my code so that the
appropriate rows had the rowStyleClass applied to them.

Unfortunately, it has caused some other problems apparently due to a
difference in the way Facelets resolves value-bindings.

When my EL expression is resolved in dataTable class:

#{tableData.selectedRowIndex == rowIndex ? 'highlightRow' : null}

If the condition is true, then it correctly returns the String
"highlightRow" in both JSP and Facelets. If the condition is false in
JSP, it returns null for the value binding's value. If the condition is
false in facelets, it instead returns the empty String. This is a
problem because the renderer then thinks that there is a non-null
rowStyleClass and tries to apply it. This means that no CSS gets applied
to those rows at all, while I would expect them to get the default CSS
defined by rowClasses attribute.

So I either need to figure out why Facelets is returning the empty
string here, or just change the renderer to check for null OR the empty
string; i.e. treat the empty string as if it were null. Is that an
acceptable approach? I guess it would be better to figure out why this
is different in the first place.

Regards,

Jeff Bischoff
Kenneth L Kurz & Associates, Inc.