I tried facelets once.
I got fed up by the tomahawk components and the extra file you needed.
I had troubles with it all the time.

Plus sitemesh is nice that you can do decorators based on paths so it
saves a lot of un-needed work of doing something for every single
page.
Personally I'd rather use Tiles than Facelets because I know Tiles
will work if I have to use it.
But Tiles is a bunch of un-needed work per page too.
I used Sitemesh on Struts 2 and like it a lot.

Trying to get it to work on JSF though.
I've been messing around with MyFaces source and Sitemesh source to
figure out a solution but alas I don't know enough about either to
make any progress.

Shawn