Hello,

What id are you using exactly? To add a message to FacesContext you have to
use clientId, not the base id, so the message addition should be done this
way:

public String myAction()
{
 FacesMessage message = new FacesMessage("My message");

 context.addMessage(myComponent.getClientId(context), message);

 return null;

~ Simon

I have seemingly tried everything.  I put forceId on the <t:inputText>
(which sets the id properly); I tried a validator and calling
addMessage() from within the validator method, which although it is
bulky it did work and the error message appeared; page-level validation
works (an error message appears if I leave the field empty).  However,
it does not work if I call FacesContext.addMessage() from within the
action method.  The error message does not show up.  Is there something
else I have to do???  Like a PhaseListener or something?  Some other
setting somewhere?  I am absolutely sure I am getting the correct id
because I even used a binding property.  I could really use some help.
This shouldn't be that difficult.  Thanks!