Hello Bernd,

I was using filter, now I have switched to tobago-fileupload.jar as
you suggested.

Now in my logs I'm getting:

javax.faces.FacesException:
org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase$SizeLimitExceededException:
the request was rejected because its size (258792409) exceeds the
configured maximum (69206016)

if I try to upload too large file.

So, I guess there is no nice way to simply get validation error if the
file size exceeds the one set in web.xml, am I right? I can just set
some large hard limit and set desired limit on tc:validateFileItem? Or
am I missing something? I can't use <error-page> for the exception, as
I have to stay with the form in which I have tc:file tag.

Thanks for help,
michael