Hi Bernd,
Thank you very much, now im able to export to excel.
When is open online its opening with MS Excel but  when i saves the  file to
hard disk it is saving as "filename.faces" instead "filename.xls", as there
is no xls extension the file is not opening with MS Excel.

Controller file includes like this

try {
         UIData table = getData();
         writeWorkbook(table,"OrderHistory",context);
         context.responseComplete();
     }
     catch(Exception e) {
         log.error(e);
     }

which will call writeWorkBook method by passing file name as one of the
parameters.

What can i include in the controller so that the file will save with ".xls"
extension.?

Thanks,
Vinay