The JSF 1.1 spec mentions the delegation in "10.3.5 Delegating
Implementation Support" (10-52).

From what I've seen, Facelets delegates to the JSPViewHandler when it can't
find the specified view. So if you can't rely on the order of registered
view handlers, you have to rely on the handle-or-delegate behaviour. Seems
to work with Facelets, but I don't know how others deal with it.