I am not sure what you are trying out here. I assume that you are using
navigationMenuItem inside t:panelNavigation2 component. If yes then the last
time i worked with this component i had major problems displaying icon along
with text in the menu. That is the reason i shifted to using
t:commandNavigation2 component instead of using t:navigationMenuItem

I am not sure what is the problem that ur facing unless you give me more
information.

~madhav