If you use jboss seam there is support for an enum converter and
enum-select item components that do just what you are looking for.

What's the best way generate UISelectItems from an enumerated type? I'd like
to populate a UISelectOne-based component with enumerated type values and
back the component with an enumerated type variable instance. This seems
like it should be a common pattern in JSF with JDK 1.5+. In fact, I'm a
little surprised we can't specify an enumerated type (or variable of an
enumerated type) for f:selectItems.

Thanks for any replies,
Eric

 CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

exclusive use of the individual or entity named above and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of the message to the
immediately by e-mail and delete the material from any computer.  Thank you.