Hi!
> didn't I have to close the dialog immediatly ?
> without closing the dialog there wouldn't be a call to the backing bean .. ?

Keep in mind that the dialog is in fact a different jsf page. So you
have to "finish" the lifecycle of this "sub page" to get the model
updated and then refresh the "master" page to reflect the changes there too.
With some more javascript magic you can avoid this round-trip, though,
you'll find thats hard too as manual javascript and JSF has its own
oddities.

For now, all this means you have to put the bean required on the sub
page (or at least a lightweight "result" bean) into the session scope
... which is a bad thing, but should do it for now.
Later you can use Apache MyFaces Orchestra (we are working hard on the
documentation) to get two new JSF scopes:

* conversation
* flush

Even if Orchestra is created to simplify your live with persistence, it
does not require you to use this module. You can just use the new scopes
alone without problems.

Stay tuned!

Ciao,
Mario