From: Andrew Robinson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Freitag, 29. Juni 2007 18:13
To: MyFaces Discussion
Subject: Re: how to reset submitted values caused by validation errors ?

Do you really think it will be that many components? This will only
happen if you change the values for components without "using" the
components to make the change. I don't see that as a very common use
case.

BTW - on that subject I do think JSF needs more
component-interdependent code (one component depending on one ore more
other components). This is especially true I think with components
that get turned on/off (visibility or disabled) using javascript. For
example, a check box that enables a text field -- that component
should only be required if the checkbox is checked.

On 6/29/07, Michael Heinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Congratulations but you'll have much time from now on because you will
> not sleep late any more :-)) I'm experiencing this right now.
>
> Back to topic:
> The new component you mentioned sounds promising. I think it's
important
> that you can specify multiple values in the for-attribute as we can do
> in the reRender-attribute.
>
> On the other hand I am afraid that this is not the ultimate solution.
> This component must be added to nearly all commands(button/links) and
> all those zones must be specified that could contain fields with
> conversion/validation errors that are not submitted with the current
> command. This could result in a maintenance nightmare, or ?
>
> Pls don't get me wrong Andrew, I think this component could help in
> screens with a small number of commands and components. But wouldn't
it
> be difficult to use this component on complex screens with many
> commands, regions and rerenderAreas.
>
> Michael

This
> > would mean that I have to use component bindings for all values that
> are
> > converted to Non-Strings or validated.
> >
> > (I don't like component bindings at all and I don't use them in any
of
> > my JSF applications.
> > From my point of view they complicate development.
> > But I don't want to start a discussion regarding component bindings
> here
> > ;-) So back to my problem ... )
> >
> > I played a little bit with UIInput and removed _submittedValue from
> > stateSaving (saveState and restoreState).
> > This seems to work in my usecases.
> > a) If the form is submitted via ajax with an invalid date that is
> > *INSIDE* the submitted region then the submitted value is
redisplayed
> > sucessfully.
> > b) If the form is submitted via ajax with an invalid date that is
> > *OUTSIDE* the submitted region then the new value that I set in my
> > ActionListener is displayed.
> >
> > As I mentioned I use serverside state saving.
> >
> > But currently I am not sure whether there are any sideeffects ...
> >
> > Any help is highly appreciated
> > Michael

binding="#{bean.text}"