You are probably right about the automatic clean-up. That is actually what
makes sense. However I should point to what caused me to think otherwise.

In the Trinidad developer manual, on the page
http://myfaces.apache.org/trinidad/devguide/communicatingBetweenPages.html

it is stated:

pageFlowScope never empties itself; the only way to clear pageFlowScope is
to manually force it to clear

What do you make of this? Am I interpreting it wrongly, is it not
up-to-date?

I imagine the scope is emptied at specific points, but I can't make out
specifically when. Or conversely when the scope is kept between requests.
Can anyone clarify this?