Thanks Andrew i fixed it. I have similar kind of problem in different
situation

Their is a Search Form . Click on Search button reRenders the h:dataTable to
display the search resultSet  but this happens  only after clicking the
Search button twice or thrice. Quite wierd

I tried doing the same fix but it didnt work i.e.
<a4j:region>
<h:commandButton id="search" value="Search"  styleClass="button" >
                <a4j:support event="onclick" action="#{searchDeviceBean.search}"
reRender="searchpanel" ajaxSingle="true"/>
         </h:commandButton>
</a4j:region>

<a4j:outputPanel  id="searchpanel"
rendered="#{searchDeviceBean.searchResultSet}">
    <h:dataTable id="searchResults" value="#{searchDeviceBean.queryResults}"
var="resultSet"    styleClass="list"  rowClasses="odd,even" >

                <h:column/>
</h:dataTable>

   </a4j:outputPanel>

Any pointers/suggestions will be highly appreciated