I don't have the code anymore and do not have easy access to it at the
moment, because we have moved off of JSF for the near future. I cannot
remember exactly what I did, but here is a shot:

Override the renderer. Specifically these methods:

protected HtmlCommandLink getLink(FacesContext facesContext,
HtmlDataScroller scroller, String text, int pageIndex)

protected HtmlCommandLink getLink(FacesContext facesContext,
HtmlDataScroller scroller, String facetName)

In those methods, add an ajax support component for the onclick event
and that returns false (forget the attribute, but one causes this).

Then I think I had to extend the component to catch the queuing of
action events by the support object. I changed it to a data scroller
component at that point.

I can't remember more than that at the moment though. The richfaces
one is probably easier to use for this use (it wasn't open source when
I did the tomahawk datascroller customization).

You can also use <a4j:form ajaxSubmit="true" /> to force every request
to be an ajax request.

-Andrew