Good question Andrew. I knew you are pointing at Conversion or Validations
which may occur during onchange event. It was error in my code which i fixed
it & works fine now

But i am having another wierd problem
I have onblur event on textfield which functions as expected in case the
textfield has null value. But if i go back & key in the value for textfield
it still holds the null value & doesnt recognizes the new keyed in value .
from debugging statement i figured out the setXXX() method doesn't get
called