Thanks Martin,

yes, clipping helps in a way, but things really seem to become complicated
then.
Clipping plus absolute positioning (which seems to be required by "clip" to
work)
and then, for some reason, I had to fiddle with the margins, too, which
leads to this
(still everything done directly in the inlineStyle/contentStyle attributes,
not yet
in the CSS file):

inlineStyle="margin-right: 55px;" // this part only for Firefox...
contentStyle="width: 50px; position: absolute; margin-top: -2px;
clip:rect(0px, 50px, 20px, 0px)"

I wonder, if that really is the way to go? Well, probably it is... :-|

Cheers, Carsten