We have an application that uses tabbed panes to edit different sections of
data records.  For example one panel is for managing addresses while another
has account information.

An initial summary tab is show that allows a user to choose an activity
which will submit the value, which renders the associated edit tab and makes
it active using a selectedIndex bind variable.

When the application is first loaded, this logic works well, the
selectedIndex is respected and the correct tab displays properly.

However, we've noticed that if a user clicks on a tab during the edit
process, subsequent submits and re-rendering totally ignores the
selectedIndex variable, and instead goes back to the previously selected
tab, even though the selectedIndex bind variable is set to something else.

Is this something that would be better handled by binding the Panel to a
backing bean and setting an index variable there?  I've overcome this with
other controls by using this approach, or by nulling out the submitted value
to force a JSF refresh from the model after re-rendering.  Is there a
correct way to force a tab index programmatically even if a user has
manually picked a tab in the client.

We are using server-side switching with this tab.