Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
Well, why should Trinidad care about the minSet/maxSet. They are only
in the RI, as you say.
Not in MyFaces. Wouldn't that cause other issues ?

Well ok, I can try and raise the issue with the Sun folks.
However I think it's in the best interest of Trinidad to play nice with the RI
and that a "Matthias Wessendorf" is much better suited to discuss this than
a "Stephen Friedrich" ;-)
Maybe you even have personal contacts to some of the RI developers.

What would really help is if you could point me to some paragraph in the spec
that says you must only save/restore public attributes. Lacking that I still
don't have any valid argument why the RI is broken.

I don't know that much about the spec and its internal implementation, but
so far it appears to me similar to the serialization problems you'll get
when a subclass fails to serialize the super class's fields. In that case it's
not the super class that is to blame.

Anyway: Why _do_ the Trinidad validators have to overwrite
saveState/restoreState
at all? I don't see them adding anything of value.
Or maybe do not extend the standard faces DoubleRangeValidator at all.

BTW:
Here is a code snippet that to my unsuspecting eyes looks like a definite
Trinidad bug:

In org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.validator.DoubleRangeValidator:
  public DoubleRangeValidator(long maximum)
  {
    super();