I'm again at a sorta -0.5 on this;  in JSF 1.2, I'd rather provide
EL functions to do formatting, since that gives you format
functionality in all components instead of just one.  (ADF Faces
does just this in JDev 11).  That still leaves JSF 1.1 users with
just h:outputFormat, which isn't great.

-- Adam