No, I didn't meant that you should redirect programmatically. In both cases you
use faces-config NavigationRule to handle transition. 'redirect' is merely
parameter on how to handle that transition. If <redirect/> is present, then
navigation will be handled traditional way: server asks browser to navigate
from faces/page1.jspx to faces/page2.jspx. By default, navigation is handled a
little differently: server just 'switch' servlets. From browser's point of view
response is rendered by page1.jspx, while on the server page1.jspx processes
user's request, but response is rendered by page2.jspx.

You should refer to some JSF tutorials or documentation for detailed
explanation on how it all works :)

Hope it helps.