Volker, thanks for your quick reply... I don't think that this thread can
really help me with my problem.

It's not necessary that the required functionality happens in a
PhaseListener (could also be in a servlet, servlet filter, custom jsp tag,
...). All I need is to get the rendered html output of a jsf view and
prevent faces from forwarding to the corresponding page (because the output
should only be included in a template jsp).