You can also do this with plain jsf in a action method.

Search for this method "getInstrumentsBySecCodePattern" on this page :
http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Exporting_DataTable_To_MS-Excel

That method could easily be changed into a normal action method. Seem to
remeber there was a page in the wiki with howto-download information but
couldn't find it :)

Cheers,
Mike