Why can't you just put a component in the top level of the included
page that has partialTriggers for your event generating components?
There is no need to re-render the entire page. The PPR works on client
IDs, so it doesn't matter if the component is in the DIV tag of a
popup (the popup is nothing special when it comes to HTML, it just has
some CSS positioning on it).