This may help or not, sounds like there has been more discussion on this
issue.

We had problems with PPR in all versions above 1.0.1 because we weren't
using jspx:
i.e. use something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" standalone="yes" ?>
<jsp:root xmlns:jsp="http://java.sun.com/JSP/Page"; version="2.0"
    xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core";
    xmlns:tr="http://myfaces.apache.org/trinidad";>

    <jsp:directive.page contentType="text/html;charset=utf-8" />

    <f:view>
        <f:loadBundle basename="com.cyest.spms.resources.messages"
var="msgs" />
    </f:view>
</jsp:root>

Regards,