Subform is a naming container, so you will have to give it an ID and use
colons to get out and back in.

A few more things to try:

Replace the inputDate with an outputText of the same ID -- does it update?
- If so this is not a PPR problem

or

Leave it as an inputDate and use the Firebug extension in Firefox to view
the AJAX response. Does it contain the inputDate?
- If so this is not a PPR problem

If the above shows that it is not a PPR problem and you don't want to bother
with the subform, put a breakpoint in your set method to see who is calling
it and with what value. The stack trace should show you the caller and you
can determine the phase.

otherwise, try this:
<h:dataTable ...
  <h:column>
    <f:facet
      name="header">
      <h:outputText
        value="#{bundle.ClassListFinalMarkHeader}"
        styleClass="label"/>
    </f:facet>
        id="finalMarkField"
        columns="5"
        value="#{studentSec.finalMark}"
        autoSubmit="true"
        valueChangeListener="#{classListBean.finalMarkChanged}"/>
  </h:column>
  <h:column>
    <f:facet
      name="header">
      <h:outputText
        value="#{bundle.ClassListWithdrawalDateHeader}"
        styleClass="label"/>
    </f:facet>
        id="withdrawalDate"
        columns="11"
        partialTriggers=":::finalMarkForm:finalMarkField"
        value="#{studentSec.withdrawalDate}"
        required="false"/>
      <h:message for="withdrawalDate"/>
  </h:column>

Note that in trinidad 1.x.7 this will become
partialTriggers="::finalMarkForm:finalMarkField" (one less colon).