Hi Michael,

you are on the right track - the required==true flag will not help in
the case of the checkbox, as for checkboxes, JSF will _always_ set a
value (either true or false, due to the problems you mentioned above -
there is no way to distinguish between false and value not set at
all...).

what you can do instead is set the validator="#{myBb.validator}"
attribute and validate in this method accordingly (or, as you said,
write a new validator).

regards,

Martin

--