Hi!
>> Or do I have to define two separate beans in Spring:
>>
>> <bean id="timeChainJSF_1" class="com.playoli.timeperiod.jsf.TimeChainJSF"
>> <bean id="timeChainJSF_2" class="com.playoli.timeperiod.jsf.TimeChainJSF"
>>

> You need to use the "two separate bean definitions" approach. That gives
> your EL expressions the ability to say "I want the instance from
> conversation X" by referencing a different name. I would suggest names

Are you using persistence from within the timeChainJSF bean?
If not, you can inject the bean into your controller bean and use it
through your controller.
This is the solution I'd prefer.

And last but not least (I know, Simon did not like it ;-) ), if you
follow the ViewController concept (easiest using the @ViewController
annotation), you are able to use the special "viewController" scope for
such beans which means: For this bean use the same scope and
conversation as your view controller does.
So you have to define it only once, but get two different instances for
each conversation.

Ciao,
Mario