I forgot to mention - if you want to use facelets.BUILD_BEFORE_RESTORE
you currently have to be aware of 2 things:

1. there is a bug in facelets which breaks state-saving when this param is on
you can work around that by either patching facelets or using a custom
state manager

2. you cannot modify the component tree manually since it breaks state saving
in this case

regards

Ernst